Monday, October 25, 2010

1989 Upper Deck Complete Set

Thanks to the baseball card gods, a mint 1989 Upper Deck complete set now belongs to me.  I won this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280573288030&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_484wt_1156 but I should have been suspicious of the seller's low rating, the short description for such a nice set and nearly outrageous claims on how "pristine" and "perfect" this set was.  So I get home today and here is what I see:


It just had to be raining cats and dogs right about the time my mailman delivers my 1989 Upper Deck complete set.  This wasn't bubble wrap, so the moisture damage made it's way thru the package.  There was no need for a knife, as this package was already open by default.  The (2) 600ct cardboard boxes that held this beautiful set were loose in the package and you could feel the moisture on the boxes.  The seller did take the time to put all 801 cards in sleeves, but was VERY lucky that these mint cards weren't totally destroyed.  I can't figure this seller out, so I'll keep quiet about that.  Now on to the goods:


Other cards that stood out for me...


This set is CHOCK FULL OF HOFers and future HOFers:

Dale Murphy :) + RevNeg
Rafael Palmeiro
Edgar Martinez
Eddie Murray
Kirby Puckett
Tom Glavine
Rickey Henderson
Tony Gwynn
Robin Yount
Ozzie Smith
Ryne Sandberg
Mike Schmidt
Roger Clemens*
Greg Maddux
George Brett
Nolan Ryan x3
Barry Bonds*
Mark McGwire*
John Smoltz RC
Craig Biggio RC
Randy Johnson RC
Ken Griffey Jr. RC

All of them debuting in their first Upper Deck card.  Not bad for $50.03 aye?

No comments:

Post a Comment